Monday, November 26, 2012

2012 Thanksgiving in Lincoln California

When the alarm went off at 4:00am on Thanksgiving morning, I knew that time was of the essence. You see living in southern California, timing is so important when it comes to travel by car. Big Daddy and I are heading up to Lincoln, California. It's great little town just a bit north of Sacramento. As I wake and make my way to start the coffee, I notice the several bags on the dining room table. They contain the treasures that will be part of the holiday food fest which will leave everyone happy and eventually in a food coma.  For my part, I've selected 9 bottles of wine that we can enjoy for the two days we'll be visiting.

Once the coffee is brewed, I feed the cat, the dog, Miss Ruby who is taking the trip with us, and the chickens that think it would be crazy to leave their roost where they cozy up against the morning chill.   Once everyone is fed, I load the car with the booty of food and vino and we head on the freeway of love for the 7 hour journey.

We arrive at Big Daddy's mom's house a little worse for wear. We bring in the bags and Big Daddy's mom wants to know exactly how long we are staying...which is a totally acceptable question as the bags seem to be never ending. 

Skipping to the Thanksgiving meal, we have Big Daddy's mom, Auntie B, Auntie V, Uncle T, Miss Ruth, Big Daddy, myself and Miss Ruby.  We started with the various Pinot's I've brought, MooBuzz, Castle Rock, Leese-Fitch and Pennywise. WONDERFUL wines that were perfect with the traditional Thanksgiving meal we had.

What a great dinner! It was really wonderful. What is always amazing to me, is how the holidays really make everybody enjoy not just the food that everyone has worked so hard to put together, but the stories and remembrances that people have.  We had a great toast to Big Daddy's grandmother, who was the master maker of the "relish platter" as well as to Big Daddy's grandfather, who was a truly remarkable man that had some of the most fantastic stories having been a bus driver in the city of San Francisco for over 40 years.
So the banter at the table made everybody smile and feel good and give thanks for the great memories and family that had gotten together to celebrate the holiday.

I hope that you and and your family had a wonderful holiday and did whatever made you and your family happy. I think it's important to enjoy those moments as they go by so very quickly.





No comments:

Post a Comment