Monday, May 13, 2013

2012 Beaujolais Nouveau


Happy belated Mother's Day!  I had a lovely day with mine. We have a tradition every year that we do, oldest son that I am, that we both love. I would be happy to share it with you as a reader, however, my mom and I marveled at the number of people that have decided to do the same as what we started as a Mother's Day tradition many, many moons ago! At any rate, I believe that one day to honor thy mother is wonderful! Now you can do a brunch with mom, or a nice dinner with mom, whatever mom wants to do, just remember to do something with mom! Not that mine would ever lay any guilt on me, and use a phrase like "It's fine son, I only carried you around for the 9 months, had the worse morning sickness imaginable,  I was always swelling, and was in the deliver room for 7 days...but that is fine ( insert name here)".  I'm really fortunate though, my mom is more than my mom, she is a friend. Always the busy worker and Midwest ethics, she is ALWAYS the backbone of our house growing up. Love you mom!

So after our "whirlwind" day, I can home and relaxed, and thought, what should I open? It was a warm day and wanted something refreshing. So a look in the wine fridge (so fancy here at 336) and I pulled out the 2012 Beaujolais Nouveau Joseph Drouhin. I've never had a Beaujolais. You look on the internet and it sure gets a lot of press around Thanksgiving! I had picked up a couple of bottles and thought, well, I'll give these a try sometime.

So I opened that baby up and poured it into my glass. The deep garnet color looks so inviting! It's a chilled wine, so it reminds me of a Sangria or Gamay. A fresh and fruity aroma, it has a rich flavor of red cherry a touch of black-currant, ripe black cherries with a touch of marshmallow. Yes, I said marshmallow! Has a nice sweetness and is easy to drink. Food pairing for me was some nice sea salt crackers and sharp cheddar cheese. Really tasty vino with that combo.

Here are some notes from the winery located in France:

Thanks to our experience in the region, we have been able to select various cuvées that complement one another very well and will produce a typical "primeur" wine.
This is where the Gamay grape is king. The type of pruning used in Beaujolais is called "gobelet": no wires between the vines; each plant grows by itself, independently from the others.

The Beaujolais 2012 has a very pretty garnet coloured robe, the bouquet has notes of ripe black cherries with a touch of sweetness.  The attack is full, the wine being approachable and generous.
Very agreeable, it is a Beaujolais which invites moments of conviviality.

Drink young at 14°-15°C (57°-59° F).

So there you have it. A prefect vino to have on hand with summer on the way.  I think it would go pretty well with sushi. And with a duck or  a nice chicken salad or with some red fruits such as sun-dried cherries.  Or with turkey!  Smooth and easy so try it and let me know what you think.

At about $10.00 a bottle, great to have in the fridge.  This vino made THE PIG JUMP OVER THE MOON!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment