Wednesday, April 10, 2013

2008 Mohua Pinot Noir

Well, another day, another wine review. First, I have to tell you that I really had no intention of even having a wine last night with dinner. Then, I debated. You see, I am trying to hold myself to having cocktails, spirits or wine Friday, Saturday and Sunday only. Why you ask? Well it seems that after a certain age, and I certainly won't be going into all that, your metabolism slows down a bit more. The challenge and balancing act is, when you live with a cook, a really good cook, you eat! Yes, I know, what a concept, but "Big Daddy" likes to cook. SO there is tasting all the recipes, some made with special things like "Parma butter" or his latest creation, homemade mozzarella cheese! Yes that's right, homemade mozzarella cheese. Don't be too surprised if you read about our new addition of goats to make goat cheese. Never a dull moment. Hence, the reason for cutting back on the alcohol.

So last night "Big Daddy" served up a great meal. Cheeseburgers off the grill, purple cabbage coleslaw and some fresh tomatoes and pickles. So I decided that I would try the 2008 Mohua Pinot Noir that I had recently purchased. I can't really say that I had ever tasted a Pinot Noir from New Zealand, it was however, written about by a few publications and it rated fairly high especially for the price point.

I opened the bottle, which was easy since it has a screw top ( I really love these, say what you want, but SO EASY!) and poured the vino into the glass. The color is rusty, rose color, something different than I'd seen before. The nose full of refreshing fruit. A delicate cherry note, with plum and strawberry, Herbal note, a hint of cocoa and a spicy finish that is long lasting. Big Daddy was in praise of his wine also. I have to say that this was a great accompaniment to the meal we had. Robust and complimentary.

Now this wine has also placed at San Francisco International Wine Competition as well. The winery is part of the Vineyard Brand. Here are some notes from the winery:
"From Central Otago, we bring you the Mohua Pinot Noir, Mohua Pinot Gris and Mohua Riesling. At 45deg South, this is the southernmost grape growing region in the world. This region has rapidly become recognized as one of the world’s premier producers of these three varieties and for very good reasons."

Wine Review Online says: "
Youthful so fresh but also not yet evolved, this is a delicious Pinot Noir, praiseworthy especially for its excellent balance and light, lithe character...Its flavors do seem a little simple at present, but I’d be willing to bet that the wine will become more complex and compelling with a year or two of bottle age. If true, it compelling with a year or two of bottle age. If true, it definitely will merit a 90+ score.”
So here's what I know, it was a great Pinot Noir and look forward to tasting some of the other releases they offer. So for about $18.00 this vino makes THE PIG JUMP OVER THE MOON!  Get a bottle or two yourself. You'll be happy you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment