Tuesday, April 9, 2013

2009 Miramonte Chardonnay

So almost two weeks ago, we celebrated Easter by visiting the local wineries in Temecula. The day started off a bit overcast with the possibility of some rain. We decided to go ahead and make the drive with a very hearty picnic and a positive attitude. 

A bit over an hour later, we arrived to a beautiful day with sun and puffy clouds. One of the standout wines that we tried was a great Chardonnay from Miramonte Winery. But before I get into the review of the wine, I need to to set up the day. We started out having our first tasting and even got my mom to have a taste of " Chocolate Wine". My mom does not drink. In fact, I can remember very,very few instances where she ever drank.  Two drinks I remember from my childhood that she did try, were a "Grasshopper" and a "Pink Lady".  I really can't recall where we were, if I would guess, it sounds like something my grandfather would have made for my mom and grandmother because he would do things like that. I remember they used to have mixes that all you needed to add was the alcohol. He probably bought them because of the name! In the short time I knew him, he gave all of his grand kids what I would call "latitude and indulgence". A great man, a truly hard worker that loved his family. I have so many great memories about him that it makes me smile thinking about them!

Now as we know Big Daddy loves to have a "spread" of food. Easter was no different. We had a great picnic! Fresh baked bread, some roast beef, turkey and ham from the deli. A cheese platter with crackers and an assortment of salads and Italian olives. Let's not forget about some wonderful desserts of mini cheescakes and chocolate mouse that would make your fillings sing!  Such a great meal we were able to enjoy in the heart of the Temecula Wine Country.

We did visit several wineries and one really stood out as far as flavor and price, Miramonte Winery. The Chardonnnay was really a winner here. The aroma is a really fresh, really clean one of pineapple, hint of lemon and fresh green apple. The taste, one word, unbelievable! What "Big Daddy" and I agreed was that while the flavor is very crisp, it has that gentle toasty oak that allows a nice finish.

Here are some notes from the winery: "It has been 60% barrel aged, 40% stainless aged. This wine is a new release. Expect it to further develop, integrate, and reveal its nuanced elegance -- especially in its zesty, lengthy finish. A delicious sipping wine, yet uber flexible and food friendly."

I agree, this vino is "uber flexible and food friendly'! Also, a fantastic buy at $19.95! Become a Wince Club member and the price goes down to $15.95!  WOW!  Now while the wine may only available through the winery itself, I would encourage you to pay them a visit. Once you taste this vino, you'll load up the car with it!  We did!  This vino definitely THE PIG JUMP OVER THE MOON! 

Check out the winery and their fabulous grounds. http://www.miramontewinery.com/winery/








No comments:

Post a Comment