Monday, February 18, 2013

2009 Verdejo Cala Blanca

So, Big Daddy has a cold. That head, slight headache with the cough and slight rattle in the chest,  kind of under the weather situation.  At any rate, he just completed cooking two oven roasted chickens and is making homemade chicken soup. He calls it comfort food. The broth works like that vapor rub that I remember that my mom smeared all over my chest as a kid to combat any sinus and cold that overtook us. I still remember my mom making sure we had our t-shirt under or pajamas,and that burning sensation and warm feeling with the vaporizer running in the bedroom. All part of the healing process. And you know what, it worked! Thanks mom!

So I decided to try this wine that I bought  from Spain. I've tried the various reds they have produced and like them. The Old Vine Garancha and Tempranillo both great and flavorful.

The Verdejo has had many reviews some great, some not so great. In my tasting, I liked it. I liked it being a nice wine that had a nice crisp peppy taste. It has a great aroma that gives a hint of the flavor that you'll taste. The peach and nectarine scent are so refreshing and crisp. When you taste it, it does not disappoint.  As my aunt would say "just a little bit of sunshine in a glass"! It's fresh and light with a floral bouquet and smooth finish.

Here are some notes from the winery:

"Hot days and cool nights during the growing season stress the vines, create low yields and produce wines with the maximum varietal expressions."

It's a nice simple wine that I could certainly see being paired with ceviche or that wonderful avocado salad that Big Daddy makes.

Put it on your list for wines to serve when the weather heats up. I certainly will, as this one is refreshing, light and perfect to have ready and cold as an alternate to Chardonnay and Pinot Grigo.

This wine priced at about 13.00 and definitely worth it. This vino made THE PIG JUMP OVER THE MOON!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad this internet thing works and your article really helped Luxury Dog Collar, Small Dog Collars, Dog Products wholesale me. Might take you up on that home advice you.

    ReplyDelete