Friday, February 15, 2013

Post Valentines Day Thoughts

Well it's the 15th of February and Big Daddy and I celebrated the evening of St. Valentines with a great meal. You know Big Daddy does like to put out the food and last night was no exception.  A run down of the meal was, a nice juicy steak, fresh mushroom risotto (with one of his clients bringing him fresh dried mushrooms from their farm in Europe) asparagus and artichokes. For dessert, Bananas Foster. So needless to say, it was a fantastic gourmet meal. The wine though, was another story!

I recently was cleaning things as we just purchased a new wine rack that we are waiting on delivery of. During the reorganization process I found a bottle of 2004 Pinot Noir from Korbel. We purchased several years ago (obviously) from Korbel in the Russian River Valley and I thought that, perhaps it would age well. Big Daddy on the other hand, declared that is had probably had turned (his word) and was sceptical at best. 

So carefully removing the foil and cork, I looked at the cork, it looked in tact. I smelled it, nothing foul or unusual. Big Daddy wanted to taste it first, so I poured him a glass. The color looked brilliant! I silently thought to myself that we had a wonderful discovery and that this Pinot Noir would be perfect for dinner.

Big Daddy took a sip, and then, his entire face made a wincing kind of look, you know eyes squinting wrinkled up nose, that kind on wincing look!  I thought by the look it must truly be in an advanced state of vinegar! I then tasted it for myself. Well it wasn't THAT bad, it wasn't good either. It did taste a bit "OFF", so it turned out to be no great bottle that had been stored and forgotten. No treasure that we would have enjoyed and been so happy to have tasted.

We did settle on another wine after this, and I'll write about it. I wanted to share this with you all. Finding the 2004 bottle and thinking it was vintage, well it was something, but NOT vintage!

No comments:

Post a Comment