Thursday, July 19, 2012

Pennywise Pinot Noir 2010

First, you have to ask yourself, what is in a name? When I came across this wine it was sitting next to a wine titled "Plungerhead"! I purchased both and I'll publish a review later regarding the "sister" wine soon.


When I opened it up and poured it into the glass, the first thing you notice is the color. It seemed almost ruby jeweled! Really a magnificent coloring. The aroma of the wine was red raspberry and touch of cinnamon. Once you taste it, your mouth savors the flavors of cranberry, as well as some tart cherries and just a hint of an oak at the finish. Pretty in the glass, tasty to the mouth and hard to put down!


The winery notes that the "2010 vintage Pennywise Pinot Noir has a core of fruit from the Merwin Vineyard in Clarksburg. This vineyard is mostly Pommard clone Pinot Noir.  The balance of this blend was mostly Monterey Pinot Noir for some added mouthfeel and nice delicate cherry fruit. And a touch of Paso Syrah was added for just a little structure to this Pinot Noir blend. The combination of the lots makes a crowd pleasing wine with great fruit and allows this wine to be served at any occasion." The taste is spot on! 


Additionally, the winery TOG is run by the 4th generation of  Sebastiani's, Mia and August. They have proven that great wine can still be made that doesn't hurt your wallet.


This was really a great wine and I bought it for $8.99!
I didn't have this with a specific meal, just in the evening while relaxing and watching Mob Wives. I kept thinking how much fun it would be to have the wine with all the "girls", Big Ang, Renee, Drita, Karen and Carla. Who knows, after a few bottles, the stories that could be told!  I can just hear "Big Daddy" now, "I'm going to make some meatballs and you tell me what you think." And you know what, they would love them, and this wine would be a perfect match for them!
So ladies, come on by with "Big Daddy" and "Big Ang" together...who knows what could happen!


This wine definitely MADE "The Pig Jump Over the Moon"!


Try it and let me know what you think. Great price and a great wine!

No comments:

Post a Comment