Monday, July 23, 2012

Rodney Strong 2010 Chardonnay - Somona County

Whenever I go out to a restaurant I always look for specific names of wineries on the menu. So last night to celebrate our friend Mike's birthday, we visited the Blue Water Grill in Newport Beach. We had decided on later dinner and the place suited our needs just perfectly.  Located right on the water we enjoyed a great view and great weather.


Just a brief overview of the restaurant itself.  "we have two locations in Orange County ("the OC"), Newport Beach and "The District" in Tustin, and one in Redondo Beach on King Harbor. We also are located in Arizona in the "Valley of the sun" on Camelback Rd in Central Phoenix. We are the perfect spot for a casual afternoon or evening combined with a trip to the beach, a stroll along the boardwalk, or a day out shopping." The manager that night Rafael,also told us that they are opening another seasonal restaurant on Catalina.


They have an extensive list of great choices on the menu. I had the Lobster Bisque and the Sanddabs. Both were just perfect! Sanddabs are seldom on menus, which is really too bad, because they are AWESOME! The service was great and everyone really enjoyed their dinners. I would recommend that you check it out. Here is the link: http://www.bluewatergrill.com/reviews.php


Now onto the wine. Let me say that the meal was great, the wine, not so much. When I first tasted it, it had a great light and fruity fresh pear sense about it. A slight undertone of oak  as well. Very refreshing! It even had a slight dryness to it. The finish though was in a word...SHARP. At first I though it was me...so I turn another hearty sip and again tasted all the great pear flavor, with a bit of apple and oak. The finish though was again rough. As I sipped it with different parings from my dinner, it just did not cooperate. For a Rodney Strong wine, I was so disappointed. During the years, I have had so many great bottles from them.  Not sure what happened here, the wine just had a very poor finish.


With so many other great chardonnays in this price point, choose Le Crema, that is a GREAT wine for the same the price.


This wine definitely DID NOT MAKE "The Pig Jump Over the Moon"!

No comments:

Post a Comment